Have you ever heard some hp laptop owners complaining about how “my laptop screen has been stuck on the initial hp screen and keeps showing the loading sign”? Are they tired of waiting for their laptop to start while it remains stuck on the same screen for minutes and hours? If that is so, you can help them identify the problem and fix it with the quick knowledge you will get from a 3-minute reading of this article.
Why is my laptop stuck on the HP screen?
There is no definite answer to this question since there can be a number of contributing factors, some of which are given below:
- Virus: You might have recently installed new software that initially brought a new virus that remains undetected and, later on, interferes with the normal functioning of your laptop. This can be one of the reasons for your laptop being stuck on the hp screen.
- The problem in Windows installation: if you have recently installed Windows 8 or 10, you might be facing this issue. This can be due to defective Windows installation.
- Overheating of the laptop: Your laptop may get overcharged or overheated due to defective power supply issues. This also contributes to the above-mentioned issue.
- Software problems leading to failing backlight: backlight failure can be due to some of the software problems in the laptop itself, leading to difficulty in getting back to the normal regular screen.
- Motherboard issue: There might be an undetected motherboard issue that is the cause of many screen issues including the black screen with hp logo, blue screen or freezing screen error.
Experts and HP customer care support provide a list of things that can be done in order to fix a laptop that is stuck on a HP logo screen. If some steps are not working for your computer, you can move on to the next steps. Chances are, your laptop will get fixed halfway through these solutions, but even if it does not, you always have customer care to take your problems to.
Removing extra devices
More often than not, peripherals such as CDs, USB drives, SD cards and devices like mice cause the laptop to get stuck on the front logo screen of hp. If that is the case, turn off your computer, try removing all such devices from your laptop, and disconnect Bluetooth devices, if any. Then, turn the laptop on. This will definitely fix the stuck screen if the cause is the connected devices.
Try hard power reset
A power reset helps you clear data from the laptop’s memory without clearing any kind of personal data. Follow the following basic steps to achieve a hard power reset:
- Turn off the computer.
- Unplug the power adapter.
- Remove all peripheral devices connected to it.
- remove the battery (if your laptop has a removable battery)
- Press and hold the power button for 15-30 seconds. All the remaining power stored in the laptop’s capacitor will be drained this way.
- Reconnect the battery or the AC adapter and turn on the laptop.
If this does not help fix your problem, then the problem might be lying somewhere else. Hence, move on to the next step.
Try removing the battery
If the battery is non-removable, then this step isn’t for you. But most hp laptops are built in a way that allows their batteries to be removed easily. If you think you might need the help of a specialist because your battery is glued or fully integrated within the laptop, then skip to the next part.
In order to put this step into practical use, you will need to:
- Turn off the laptop.
- Unplug the power cord.
- Make sure no peripheral devices are connected to it.
- Look for the battery release latch on the back of the laptop.
- If you cannot find any, you might have to remove the screws while holding the battery in place.
- You will find a ribbon cable attached to the system. Separate it very carefully from the battery.
- Once you are done removing your old battery, connect the new one to the back of your laptop.
- Now you are ready to finally turn on your laptop to see if the issue has been fixed.
Update your Graphics Driver
Outdated graphics card drivers are a major contributory factor in the persistence of a black hp screen with a hp logo. Updating it is the only way to fix this driver issue. In order to fix it:
- Press Windows Logo Key + Ctrl + Shift + B simultaneously on the logo screen.
- The Windows will prompt the graphics driver to restart.
You need to follow some of the hp hardware diagnostic tools if updating your graphics driver does not fix this issue for you.
Hp hardware diagnostic tests
Two tests can be performed:
- Fast Test: It takes around 4 minutes only. It can be performed by following the given steps very carefully:
- Press and hold the power button for around 5 seconds and wait for the computer to turn off.
- Now, turn on the laptop.
- Keep pressing the Esc key until a menu appears.
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key for system diagnostics.
- When the hardware diagnostics main menu appears, click System Tests.
- You will see an option for a Fast test there. Click it and allow it to “run once.”
- This is the first pass test. You can move on to the second pass test if it doesn’t fail.
- For the second pass of the system fast test, click “Continue” and then “Run again.”
- You’re ready to move on to the extensive test if you meet no failures.
- If there is a component failure, you might need to use your 24-digit failure ID support while contacting customer care support.
- Extensive Test: It takes around 2 hours. The steps are pretty much the same except that this time when the “System Diagnostics” appears on the menu, click “Extensive Test” and allow it to “Run once” or “Loop until error”.
Reseat the RAM strips
You can check the backside of our laptop beneath the rubber feet to find two closely placed RAM strips. Make sure they are seated correctly. If they are not, pull the strips out very carefully and put them back in their secure positions. Try rebooting the laptop again.
You can also check if one of the memory sticks is acting as a bad guy. Try rebooting the computer with one strip at a time.
If RAM is seated perfectly, then maybe check the seating of the hard drive.
Check the hard drive
Check if the hard drive is seated perfectly on its caddy or holder. If it is not, try separating it first and then placing it back as we did in RAM strips. Reset the laptop to see if the issue has been fixed.
Check the date and time of the BIOS system
- Turn off the laptop and wait for 15 seconds.
- Turn it on and keep pressing the Esc key until the menu appears.
- Press the F10 key to enter the BIOS system.
- Make sure the date and time are correct.
- If the date and time come out incorrectly every time you restart the laptop, you might need to replace the CMOS battery.
- The CMOS battery is available on online stores such as Amazon.
Try restoring BIOS
Whenever you start your computer, BIOS is the first software to run. If any problem arises while starting your laptop, it might be because your BIOS is corrupted. Hp laptops have the benefit of the ability to restore their BIOS from the hard drive by following these basic steps:
- Shut down your computer.
- Plug it in a power switch.
- Hold the Windows+B key simultaneously while pressing the power button for 1-3 seconds. d this while the laptop is shut down.
- Repeat this step until the hp BIOS screen appears.
If you have tried doing all of the things above and your hp screen is still stuck, then you may need to do a factory reset.
- Turn off the computer and plug in a power outlet.
- Turn on the computer and keep pressing the F11 key.
- On the Windows ‘Choose an option screen, click ‘Troubleshoot.’
- Click on ‘Reset this PC.’
- Click on ‘Remove everything.
- Click on ‘Fully clean the drive.
This whole process might take several hours and will erase all of your data and important files.
In case you or the specialist that you might have shown your laptop to cannot detect the problem and fail to fix the issue, you can call hp customer care support for more guidance. One thing you have to take most care of is not to do anything hastily. Modern tech is smart but at the same time, sensitive. Try to be patient with your device. Follow the steps carefully. Do not get disheartened if you cannot fix it on your own. And lastly, try to take care of your laptop on a regular basis so as not to get it into trouble like this.